[Dovecot] Multiple Concurrent IMAP Connections For Same User

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Mar 5 20:04:01 EET 2011

Stephen Usher put forth on 3/5/2011 10:04 AM:
> I know that this is a somewhat old thread but I do have some useful input.
>
> Basically, this seems to be a Thunderbird problem (or at least an
> interaction problem between Thunderbird and Dovecot).
>
> Before Thunderbird version 3 there wasn't a problem, the mailbox within
> Thunderbird would sync correctly. As of version 3 they seem to have
> changed their mailbox header list caching code and it gets horribly
> confused when mails disappear from the mailbox without it doing so. The
> only way to fix the view within the program is the rebuild the
> (Thunderbird) index.
>
> This is not the only problem TB3 has with Dovecot. Quite often if there
> are large attachments TB doesn't fully load the attachments (and
> sometimes not even the mail itself). I've found changing TBs setting so
> that it only uses one connection to the server rather than the default 5
> helps mitigate this.
>
> I'm not sure why TB3 has such a hard time when talking to Dovecot as no
> other clients have any difficulty and TB2 never did.

I don't believe it's an issue of Tbird talking to Dovecot, and I don't
believe it's a Dovecot issue.  I believe it's a combination of the TB
GLODA system and local folder synchronization.  I recommend you disable
both of these, close TB, then manually delete all local cached
folder/message copies and the gloda database in the user profile, then
launch TB.  And never reenable local sync or GLODA.  This should fix
your problem.  And make sure *all* IMAP clients accessing the mailbox
expunge on exit, including your smart phone, etc.

--
Stan