[Dovecot] POP3 error

Attila Nagy bra at fsn.hu
Tue Mar 8 22:38:21 EET 2011

  On 03/08/2011 06:51 PM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2011-03-08 12:42 PM, Thierry de Montaudry wrote:
>> On 08 Mar 2011, at 19:37, Charles Marcus wrote:
>>> So... if the httpd process is the one consuming all of the CPU, doesn't
>>> it stand to reason that it might be something to do with one of your web
>>> apps, and not dovecot?
>> But then why was it fine with 1.1.13, which never had once this
>> problem in 2 years? or is 2.0.9 slower, or consuming more resources
>> to create the problem?
> You don't see how it might be possible that 2.0.x does something that
> 1.1.x didn't do that your webmail app might not like, without it being a
> dovecot bug?
>
> I'm not saying it is or it isn't, but I'd look there first - see if an
> update is available for your webmail app... since you were running an
> ancient version of dovecot, maybe you're also running an ancient version
> of it too?

I can see similar problems (subject: "Restarting dovecot-auth stops
authentication"), on a different OS, and nothing common in the webmail area.

I think this is clearly related to Dovecot. It handles load very badly
(well, it seems at least on common OS settings), doesn't just slow down,
but starts to refuse clients.
It seems to be obvious that the interprocess socket communication is
where it fails, so this is what needs to be investigated.
Sadly, doing this on a machine, which cries for a deep breath already is
not always easy.