[Dovecot] POP3 error

Tue Mar 8 22:58:25 EET 2011

On 2011-03-08 3:38 PM, Attila Nagy wrote:
>  On 03/08/2011 06:51 PM, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> You don't see how it might be possible that 2.0.x does something that
>> 1.1.x didn't do that your webmail app might not like, without it being a
>> dovecot bug?
>>
>> I'm not saying it is or it isn't, but I'd look there first - see if an
>> update is available for your webmail app... since you were running an
>> ancient version of dovecot, maybe you're also running an ancient version
>> of it too?

> I can see similar problems (subject: "Restarting dovecot-auth stops
> authentication"), on a different OS, and nothing common in the webmail
> area.

Similar problem? I just read that entire thread, and there was
absolutely no mention of high resource usage, and it was the 4th or 5th
email before you finally provided system details (which should always be
provided in the first email to save time) and Timo noticed that you had
changed some defaults that you shouldn't have... so I don't think that
thread qualifies as being anywhere near similar.

> I think this is clearly related to Dovecot. It handles load very badly

Whoa, pardner, fyi, there are many, many installations humming along
smoothly.

> (well, it seems at least on common OS settings), doesn't just slow down,
> but starts to refuse clients.

Maybe there is a bug somewhere that only becomes evident under certain
circumstances, but it is also possibly due to config problems caused by...

--

Best regards,

Charles