[Dovecot] questions/problems virtual plugin pop3 leave copies on the server for x days then delete / tbs Popstate.dat / looks like solved

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Sun Mar 20 13:27:36 EET 2011

Am 18.03.2011 23:39, schrieb Robert Schetterer:
> Am 17.03.2011 00:07, schrieb Robert Schetterer:

>>> ok , i tested a little
>>> the popstate.dat files stores what to do
>>> with pop3 mail identified by UIDL
>>>
>>> this tb function looks good on both servers
>>>
>>> if i.e a mail was deleted from local inbox
>>> it gets declared something like
>>> d uidl
>>> in the popstate.dat
>>>
>>> the difference between the servers is
>>> that in the server without virtual plugin the mail gets in deed deleted
>>> at pop3 reconnect
>>>
>>> sending
>>> pop3(... at ....): expunge: box=INBOX, uid=172,
>>> msgid=<4D813935.9070606 at ....>, size=1836
>>>
>>> with my virtual plugin setup it isnt deleted
>>> cant see any expunge with this tb account
>>>
>>> miracle i can see onther account ( think he has old netscape )
>>> which sends expunge over pop3
>>>

>> checked this with outlook 2010 too
>> it doesnt work either, see no expunge in log
>>
>> so the virtual plugin or my setup within simply broke this pop3 features
> hi Timo
>
> i did more debugging,
> used telnet with pop3
> the list and dele function are working,
>
> the problem is based on
> that if tb downloads the mail ( with option leave copies on the server )
> mail stays in maildir cur now, but it cant be seen via pop3 list anymore
> so its clear, whatever tb sends dele later connect it fails cause the
> mail cant be seen via pop3 anymore

 for very small tests this looks like solved
i have to wait for wide user reaction/test to be sure
to see mails via pop3 and leave copies on the server

this cant work

+RealMails/
RealMails/*
-RealMails/Trash
-RealMails/Trash/*
-RealMails/Sent
-RealMails/Sent/*
-RealMails/Templates
-RealMails/Templates/*
-RealMails/Drafts
-RealMails/Drafts/*
-RealMails/Archives
-RealMails/Archives/*
 unseen

it must be

+RealMails/
RealMails/*
-RealMails/Trash
-RealMails/Trash/*
-RealMails/Sent
-RealMails/Sent/*
-RealMails/Templates
-RealMails/Templates/*
-RealMails/Drafts
-RealMails/Drafts/*
-RealMails/Archives
-RealMails/Archives/*
 all

which is example in the wiki too, but not related special to this pop3
leave copies on the server feature

so timos patch worked , also it was a configration/mythinking bug
dont know if the patch should be reverted , dont think so cause it looks
better to have mails in maildir cur when the got downloaded
then in new as it was before

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer