[Dovecot] lda_mailbox_autocreate and lda_mailbox_autosubscribe

David Warden warden at geneseo.edu
Thu Mar 24 19:20:34 EET 2011

Have you looked at pam_mkhomedir which will create a user's home directory if it doesn't already exist? It sounds like that's more in line with what you're looking for. http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/sag-pam_mkhomedir.html has config options. If you're on RHEL/CentOS check out man authconfig.

> I found lda_mailbox_autocreate and lda_mailbox_autosubscribe
> statements in 15-lda.conf file ( dovecot 2.0.11 ) which seem to be the right
> things for me :-)
>
> I use Postfix 2.8.1  with Dovecot LDA
> mailbox_command = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda
>
> All Mailboxes are located in /user/$USER/mail/
>
> Does those two statements means that if a home directory
> does not exists it will be created at the first login of the
> new user ?
>
> I mean if new user "toto" has no homedir at all , dovecot will
> create /user/toto/mail at the very first successful connection ?
>
> Thanks a lot

-David Warden