[Dovecot] Multiple versions of Dovecot installed

Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta olafrv at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 16:45:30 EET 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have had to rebuild my 64-bit CentOS 5 email server and after
> installing dovecot rpms (using yum) I seem to have multiple versions
> installed:
>
> dovecot-1.1.20-1_98.el5 - from ATrpms repo
> dovecot-1.0.7-7.el5 - from CentOS repo
> dovecot-sieve-0.1.18-6.1.el5 - from ATrpms repo

Backup conf files and /etc/init.d/dovecot start script.

Unninstall all, maybe there are dependencies problems between packages from
those repos.

> I have tried to install just the ATrpms version but when I do "yum
> install dovecot" the CentOS one always gets pulled in as well. Is this
> normal, or does it indicate that something has gone wrong in the
> installation process?

download the source for the version you want:

wget http://www.dovecot.org/releases/1.2/dovecot-1.2.16.tar.gz
wget http://www.dovecot.org/releases/sieve/dovecot-sieve-1.1.8.tar.gz

You have to install devel packages similar to:

libpq-devel libpam0g-devel libldap2-devel libnss3-devel libmysqlclient-devel
libsqlite3-devel

I recommend this compile options (rules) from Debian packages for version
1.1 or 1.2:

./configure \
 --with-ioloop=best \
 --with-notify=inotify \
 --with-nss \
 --with-shadow \
 --with-pam \
 --with-ldap=yes \
 --with-sql=yes \
 --with-pgsql \
 --with-mysql \
 --with-sqlite \
 --with-ssl=openssl \
 --sysconfdir=/etc \
 --prefix=/usr \
 --sysconfdir=/etc \
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib \
 --localstatedir=/var \
 --mandir=/usr/share/man \
 --infodir=/usr/share/info \
 --with-moduledir=/usr/lib/dovecot/modules \
 --disable-rpath \
 --disable-static

Then:

make && make install

> I'm having an issue with Dovecot sieve because it can't find a sieve
> plugin in /usr/lib64/dovecot/lda/. However, there is one in
> /usr/lib/dovecot/lda/. Do I have some sort or 32-bit/64-bit mismatch?

This is because if you build rpms from source the installation path are
different in fedorized packages.

--
   "You don't know where your shadow will fall",
        Somebody.-