[Dovecot] migrating to dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Mar 30 17:07:06 EEST 2011

On 30.3.2011, at 16.48, Jim Lawson wrote:

>> But will imapsync keep trac of UIDs so users won't have have duplicated
>> messages or re-download them if they use POP3?

IMAP protocol doesn't know anything about POP3 UIDLs. They might or might not be based on IMAP UIDs.

> I don't think so.  The sync happens via IMAP, and I don't think IMAP
> clients can *set* UIDs of messages; only the server does this (someone
> please correct me if I'm mistaken.)

That too. Although Dovecot v2.1's dsync + imapc backend can migrate mails and preserve IMAP UIDs, but even it can't preserve POP3 UIDLs at least currently (that would also require POP3 client code for Dovecot..)