[Dovecot] migrating to dovecot

Jim Lawson jtl+dovecot at uvm.edu
Wed Mar 30 16:48:40 EEST 2011

On 3/30/11 03:51 , Alexandre Chapellon wrote:
> Le mardi 29 mars 2011 à 19:04 -0400, Jim Lawson a écrit :
>> Does the proprietary solution allow IMAP access?  If so, I would use
>> imapsync.
>>
> Thanks for answers.
>
> Not all the accounts have IMAP enabled, but I guess I could setup some
> master account with IMAP enabled or even enable IMAP for all users to
> proceed with migration.
> But will imapsync keep trac of UIDs so users won't have have duplicated
> messages or re-download them if they use POP3?

I don't think so.  The sync happens via IMAP, and I don't think IMAP
clients can *set* UIDs of messages; only the server does this (someone
please correct me if I'm mistaken.)

> Will it preserve flags of messages so read or deleted messages do not
> appear as new messages?
Yes; at least, it has for us in testing (with Dovecot as the destination
server.)  Whether it will work for you depends on the specifics of the
source server.  Why not give it a try and see?

Jim