[Dovecot] Difference between LOGIN and PLAIN

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Thu Nov 3 23:00:24 EET 2011

* Simon Brereton <simon.brereton at buongiorno.com>:
> Could someone explain to me the difference between LOGIN and PLAIN?

In SMTP these are:

Both
- are plaintext mechanisms.
- base64 encode identification data before they send it over the wire
- do not encrypt the indentification data and should therefore only be offered
  over an encrypted transport layer

PLAIN
- is an open standard supported by most clients
- sends identification data as one string
- sends an authentication ID, an authorization ID and the password

LOGIN
- is a proprietary standard supported by Microsofts clients
- sends LOGIN, login name, password and optionally the domain name one after
  another

I guess they are basically the same in IMAP, but others will know better.

p at rick

--
state of mind ()

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666