[Dovecot] Difference between LOGIN and PLAIN

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Thu Nov 3 23:01:17 EET 2011

On 11/3/2011 9:42 PM, Simon Brereton wrote:
> Hi
>
> Could someone explain to me the difference between LOGIN and PLAIN?
> I've been googling for a while, but haven't found anything.

The LOGIN SASL mechanism is an obsolete plain text mechanism. It is
documented here:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-murchison-sasl-login-00

Some clients still support it, but I would not recommend using it when
PLAIN or a better SASL mechanism is also available at both ends. The
PLAIN mechanism is documented here:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4616

The main technical difference between the two is that the PLAIN
mechanism transfers both username and password in a single SASL
interaction, where LOGIN needs two. The PLAIN mechanism also provides
support for having an authorization id different from the authentication
id, allowing for master user login for example.

Regards,

Stephan.