[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.0.15 quota configuration with mbox

David Ocana david.ocana at bsc.es
Thu Nov 10 13:14:50 EET 2011

On 09/11/11 18:56, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 10:54 +0100, David Ocana wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to set up dovecot 2.0.15, everything seems to work
>> pretty well except for the quota feature. I would like to set a quota
>> limit only for the Inbox folder. I configured two namespaces,
>> according to some posts from Timo Sirainen
>>
>> namespace {
>>        separator = /
>>        prefix = INBOX/
>>        location = mbox:/var/empty:INBOX=/mail/%d/%n:INDEX=/var/dovecot/%d/%n
>>        inbox = yes
>>        hidden = yes
>> }
>>
>> plugin {
>>        quota = dirsize:User quota
>
> quota = dirsize:User quota:ns=INBOX/

Actually I forgot to mention that I also tried that, but I got the
following error:

Error: Initialization failed: Failed to initialize quota: Quota root
User quota: Unknown parameter for backend dirsize: ns=INBOX/

That's why I was trying to change quota settings by using the quota_rule
directive.

> This limits the quota only to mailboxes in INBOX/ namespace.
>
>>        # I've tried with:
>>        quota_rule = INBOX:storage=819200K
>>        quota_rule = INBOX/*:storage=819200K
>>        quota_rule = INBOX/Inbox:storage=819200K
>
> Quota rules don't work in this way. There are no per-mailbox quotas
> really, at least in the way you're thinking about.

I see, I guess they're per-namespace quotas, right? I got the wrong idea
after watching the following, which was exactly what I wanted to do :p

quota_rule = <mailbox name>:<limit configuration>

May be that, using dirsize backend lets you no other option than
calculating quota for the whole user's mailbox?