[Dovecot] Excessive imap-logins, never die

Nick Edwards nick.z.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 01:28:07 EET 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On 16.11.2011, at 0.48, Nick Edwards wrote:
>
> > Today I note there are 38 imap-logins  that seem to be stale on our staff
> > imap server,
> > they do not seem to die off, new imap-logins are created with new logins
> > and exit accordingly.
> ..
> > Dovecot version 1.2.17, built from source
>
> All this code has been rewritten in v2.0 and there's not much point in
> spending time on figuring out why things aren't working perfectly in v1.x.
> But you could most likely avoid this problem by switching to
> "high-performance mode": http://wiki.dovecot.org/LoginProcess

Okay, we do use high security mode specifically, and we require SSL on that
server, I might just leave it as is, if there is no timeout value for these
which I couldn't see when googling earlier today.

 I want to look at v2, but need to wait until all staff on are Christmas
holidays, so if upgrade goes pair shaped, I can restore and not get
bombarded with phone calls from management who can't get their mail.