[Dovecot] Mail lost - maybe a bug???

Marco Carcano marco at carcano.ch
Thu Nov 17 22:50:09 EET 2011

Hello Timo and Urban, and thank you for the very quick reply

I have already thought about these things: I have already disabled
mailbox deletion from POP3 clients, that actually just leave the
messages on the server

however, this time noone of the 4 recipients got the email - so it is
really strange that all che clients deleted the same message and left
all the others

we can notice this  only a few days after the issue, because customers
send us a reminder forwarding the lost mail

Il giorno 17/nov/11, alle ore 18:34, Timo Sirainen ha scritto:

>>> If Dovecot logs this, then the message definitely was saved to
>>> INBOX.
>>
>> it is exactly what I told to my colleagues, but belive me, sometime
>> some mail get lost -
>
> Most likely reason for this is that the user's client deletes the
> message. Possibly an automatic client side filter or some UI issue
> that causes user to accidentally delete a mail. The mail_log
> plugin's logging would have showed if this was the case.
>
>> I suspect however that could be mine misconfiguration somewhere, so
>> that lda sometimes write the email not in the right place, but
>> elsewhere,  and just write the phrase " saved mail to INBOX in the
>> logs (however I'm wondering why sometimes?!?)
>
> I can't think of any reason why it would randomly write to a wrong
> place.

maybe something related to LDAP lookups? what can happen if for some
reason the LDAP server does not reply to the lookup?

Timo, belive to me, I use dovecot since 3 years, and I am one of the
thousands of happy user,  I really can't explain what is happening on
this server

I'll do this trial: I'll enable lda debug logging ont a file on a USB
hard disk - in order to know where exactly messages are stored, and
enable also maillog too

I'll keep you informed on what I'll find - maybe it will take some
days, as I told it happens quite seldom

thank you