[Dovecot] How to disable pop3 in version 2?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Nov 23 01:03:35 EET 2011

On 23.11.2011, at 0.53, Knute Johnson wrote:

> I'm about to bring up a new mail server running Ubuntu 11.10 with Dovecot 2.  I've been using 1.2 all along and there are a bunch more config files in 2.  In 1.2 I just edited the protocols statement but I can't find one in version 2.  Is there a way to disable pop3 or do I just firewall the ports?

In the example dovecot.conf there's a protocols setting. If you don't see any, you can just add your own wherever. "protocols=imap" should work.

> And a related question, I've been using imaps on port 993 but I hear that's not the best solution anymore, I should be using imap with STARTTLS?  How do I disable imaps?

Well, http://wiki2.dovecot.org/SSL explains this more. I don't think you really need to disable imaps, but if you want to, you can do it with:

service imap-login {
  inet_listener imaps {
    port = 0