[Dovecot] Questions about Proxy/Director (was: Re: Indexes to MLC-SSD)

Patrick Westenberg pw at wk-serv.de
Thu Nov 24 15:35:55 EET 2011

Jan-Frode Myklebust schrieb:

> Yes, and in ascii-art this becomes :-)
>
> MTA -(lmtp)-->  dovecot-director ---(lmtp)--->  backend-server1
>                                 \---(lmtp)--->  backend-server2
>

> IMAP-user  -(imap)-->  dovecot-director --(imap) -->  backend-server1
>                                        \--(imap) -->  backend-server2

I failed creating a nice ascii view ;-)

However, I have some more questions:

- What happens if the MTA accepted a message but the backend-server
fails and is unable to store it?

- What about load-balancing and/or failover?
Maybe all users on backend-server1 are fetching their mails causing high
load while backend-server2 is idle.
Is it possible to specify more than one backend-server IPs as I can do
for the database hosts for userdb queries?