[Dovecot] Dovecot v2.0.13 unix_listeners

Matthew Brown mnbbrown at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 11:49:21 EET 2011

Could somebody be able to explain to me what the various unix_listeners do in the Dovecot 2.x configuration (specifically in 10-master.conf).

Currently, for postfix to use for local delivery, I have:

service lmtp {
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
}

and for auth I have:

service auth {

    mode = 0666
  }

  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    mode = 0666
    user = vmail
  }
}

So what does each one specifically do?

Also, does somebody know of a resource that can explain the mode setting? I couldn't seem to find anything on the wiki..
Sorry if these questions seem simple, Im still trying to get a grips with dovecots workings.

MDA: Dovecot v2.0.13
MTA: SMTP
User & Virtual Domain Management: MySQL

Cheers,