[Dovecot] Filesystem quotas

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Oct 10 02:34:04 EEST 2011

On 10.10.2011, at 2.18, Alexandre Chapellon wrote:

> I think by using dovecot quota you can exclude some directories from the quota (e.g: spam or Trahs or whatever you like).

No, it's filesystem quota so Dovecot can't override it.

> More specificly it is better using dovecot quota as it will allow LDA to report quota exceeded in NDR . If using filesystem quota, I guess you'll send ugly messages reporting IO error or enability too write file, which is really not serious.

The error message is only slightly different: "Not enough disk space" (instead of "Quota exceeded")

>> So, what do I get by using the Dovecot Quota/FS plugin? Is it just a matter of it counting used space? Something else? Better handling of out of space?

With imap_quota plugin it allows IMAP client to see how much quota is used/left. You could also enable quota warnings. And configure the quota exceeded error message.