[Dovecot] lmtp performance

Juan Carlos Sanchez juancarlos.sanchez at upm.es
Mon Oct 17 17:31:01 EEST 2011

A particular reply (not to the list) has told me to try:

"
Add to service lmtp:
process_min_avail = 20
"

And yes, it works (unless for me), so I want to share it with everybody.

Have not exactly measured performance but this morning have seen over
1400 messages/minute with lmtp under heavy load.

What the "process_min_avail = 20" in service lmtp (or anywhere else)
exactly imply? cannot find a reference in wiki2 . I suppose it means
than 20 lmtp processes are always open waiting for new connections and
so reducing startup latency, isn't it?

Thank you.