[Dovecot] lmtp performance

Joseba Torre joseba.torre at ehu.es
Mon Oct 17 17:42:45 EEST 2011

On Lunes 17 Octubre 2011 16:31:01 Juan Carlos Sanchez escribió:
> A particular reply (not to the list) has told me to try:
>
> "
> Add to service lmtp:
> process_min_avail = 20
> "
>
> And yes, it works (unless for me), so I want to share it with everybody.
>
> Have not exactly measured performance but this morning have seen over
> 1400 messages/minute with lmtp under heavy load.
>

> What the "process_min_avail = 20" in service lmtp (or anywhere else)
> exactly imply? cannot find a reference in wiki2 . I suppose it means
> than 20 lmtp processes are always open waiting for new connections and
> so reducing startup latency, isn't it?

I had a similar problem, and found the same solution. In my setup, only 1 lmtp
process was available and a 2nd one never was created, so the process was
really busy. With this parameter (I setup it to 10) I have diferent process
and all of them are used.
--
Joseba Torre. Vicegerencia de TICs, área de Explotación