[Dovecot] setacl fails - does not find dovecot-acl file

Michael Stilkerich ms at mike2k.de
Sat Oct 22 20:42:22 EEST 2011

Hi again,

On 22.10.2011 15:16, Michael Stilkerich wrote:

> When I try to create an ACL in a telnet session, the command fails with
> an internal error. The log shows:
>
> dovecot: imap(michael): Error:
> fstat(/home/dovecot/michael/.test/dovecot-acl.lock) failed: No such file
> or directory
> dovecot: imap(michael): Error:
> file_dotlock_open(/home/dovecot/michael/.test/dovecot-acl) failed: No
> such file or directory

  I found that the problem seems to be the try_create_lock_hardlink()
function, which is used to create the lock file. I don't now why it
doesn't work, but if I modify the code of dotlock_create() to always use
try_create_lock_excl() instead ignoring the setting of use_excl_lock in
the dotlock_settings structure, it works just fine for me.

I noticed in the log that the issue not only occurs with the dovecot-acl
files but with other files, too, namely the
dovecot.index.log and my acl_shared_dict file.

Looking at the static dotlock_settings structure in the acl-file
backend, I don't see how its use_excl_lock could possible be set to 1 by
the configuration (i.e., it doesn't seem that the dotlock_use_excl
configuration option is considered). For the maildirlock, an environment
variable "DOTLOCK_USE_EXCL" is checked instead of the
config setting. I'm not sure whether it is intentional that the hardlink
variant is generally used in these cases.

-Michael