[Dovecot] setacl fails - does not find dovecot-acl file

Michael Stilkerich ms at mike2k.de
Sat Oct 22 16:16:03 EEST 2011

Hi,

   I'm using dovecot 2.0.13 that ships with Ubuntu 11.10.
I tried setting up a shared namespace as documented in the wiki to
enable the sharing of a mailbox between two users.

I have a Maildir(++) directory for each user. Each user has a system
account. The Maildir of each user is owned by the user's system account
and group read/writable by the group mail (hence mail_access_groups=mail).

Relevant parts of my config:

mail_plugins = acl
mail_location = maildir:/home/dovecot/%u
mail_access_groups = mail

namespace {
   type = private
   separator = /
   prefix =
   inbox = yes
   hidden = no
   subscriptions = yes
}
namespace {
   type = shared
   separator = /
   prefix = shared/%%u/
   location = maildir:/home/dovecot/%%u:INDEX=/home/dovecot/%u/shared/%%u
   subscriptions = no
   list = children
}

protocol imap {
   mail_plugins = $mail_plugins imap_acl
}

plugin {
   acl = vfile
}
plugin {
   acl_shared_dict = file:/home/dovecot/shared-mailboxes
}

When I try to create an ACL in a telnet session, the command fails with
an internal error. The log shows:

dovecot: imap(michael): Error:
fstat(/home/dovecot/michael/.test/dovecot-acl.lock) failed: No such file
or directory
dovecot: imap(michael): Error:
file_dotlock_open(/home/dovecot/michael/.test/dovecot-acl) failed: No
such file or directory

The error occurs whether a (manually created) dovecot-acl file exists or
not. The dovecot-acl.lock file is created by not removed afterwards.
Subsequent setacl commands will timeout waiting for the lock to be
released until I delete it manually.

If I create the dovecot-acl file manually and provide access to another
user, the getacl command will correctly show the permissions and the
other user can access the folder. setacl will still fail to modify the
acl file, however (same error).

Another thing that irritates me is that dovecot seems to use the dotlock
locking method, although I explicitly set lock_method to
fcntl (also tried flock, same behavior).

I'm not using chroot.

I appreciate any help to get this sorted out.

Thanks,
   Michael