[Dovecot] Configuring mbox and maildir formats - dovecot-1.2.15

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Oct 28 00:35:30 EEST 2011

on 10/27/2011 12:52 PM Albert E. Whale spake the following:
> I am transitioning an existing server from using exclusively mbox, to being
> able to support both mbox and then fully maildir formats.
>
> I need to support the mbox format until I can get everyone switched over to
> maildir.
>
> What do I need to to use in the config of /etc/dovecot.conf to support the
> default of mbox, and then the new Maildir format (users will get upgraded
> individually from mbox to Maildir, and need to be upgraded).
>
> Thank you.

When I did it, the automatic detection seemed to work OK. The only problem I
had was because I used procmail for delivery. I had to have a custom
procmailrc for each user as I did their migration. For each user, when you
finish their migration, you have to rename their ~/mail folder to not show
dupes. In my case as soon as there was a ~/Maildir folder, dovecot started
using it and made new indexes.