[Dovecot] Dovecot not processing through Sieve

Steven Kiehl nanovox at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 16:00:49 EEST 2011

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to Dovecot, but I've gotten the majority of things working
except for Sieve.  I'm running Dovecot 1.2.9 coupled with Postfix and
SpamAssassin all with a virtual domains setup.  I am receiving mail and it
is being processed by all the plugins that operate through Postfix.  The
quota configured in Dovecot appears to be working because my mail client
shows the configured quota.  But the Sieve rules are not processing.  I
created a rule as follows to filter spam:

require ["fileinto"];
# rule:[global-spam]
if anyof (header :contains "Subject" "[SPAM]", header :contains
"X-Spam-Flag" "YES")
{
        fileinto "Junk";
}

If I mail myself a message with [SPAM] in the title, it goes into my inbox
regardless.  I've run 'sieve-test' with the same email and it says it will
file it into Junk.  The Junk folder exists.  I even tried adding :create and
the "mailbox" plugin, but that didn't do anything either.  Here is the
relevant majority of my dovecot configuration:

login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
login_executable(managesieve): /usr/lib/dovecot/managesieve-login
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_location: maildir:/home/dovecot/mail/domains/%d/%n/Maildir
mail_debug: yes
mbox_write_locks: fcntl dotlock
mail_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
mail_executable(managesieve): /usr/lib/dovecot/managesieve
mail_plugins(default): quota imap_quota
mail_plugins(imap): quota imap_quota
mail_plugins(pop3): quota
mail_plugins(managesieve):
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(managesieve): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/managesieve
imap_client_workarounds(default): outlook-idle delay-newmail
tb-extra-mailbox-sep
imap_client_workarounds(imap): outlook-idle delay-newmail
tb-extra-mailbox-sep
imap_client_workarounds(pop3):
imap_client_workarounds(managesieve):
pop3_client_workarounds(default):
pop3_client_workarounds(imap):
pop3_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
pop3_client_workarounds(managesieve):
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  inbox: yes
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes
lda:
  *mail_plugins: quota sieve*
  quota_full_tempfail: yes
  deliver_log_format: msgid=%m: %$
  rejection_reason: Your message to <%t> was automatically rejected:%n%r
auth default:
  mechanisms: cram-md5 plain login
  passdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  socket:
    type: listen
    master:
      path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      mode: 384
      user: dovemail
      group: dovemail
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-auth
      mode: 432
      user: postfix
      group: postfix
plugin:
  convert_mail: maildir:/home/dovecot/mail/domains/%d/%u/Maildir
*  sieve: /etc/dovecot/sieve/domains/%d/%n.sieve*
*  sieve_global_dir: /etc/dovecot/sieve/global/*
  quota: maildir:User
  quota_rule: INBOX:storage=500M
  quota_rule2: INBOX.Trash:storage=100M

The sieve plugin exists in
/usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda/lib90_sieve_plugin.so, so I would assume I'd
have to use *mail_plugin: sieve* as my configuration setting.

Like I said, I am receiving emails to my domains without any problem, but
sieve rules are not being processed.  I can see the rules set up by using
the Roundcube plugin, and I can create and edit rules through Roundcube, but
nothing different happens when I send myself an email.  It all just delivers
to the inbox.

Thanks for your help,

Steve K.