[Dovecot] MySQL, map files

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 12 14:52:19 EEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 16:52 -0700, Steve Fatula wrote:
> I'll try and break up my questions the other day about extdata that
> went unanswered into pieces in the hopes it will be more specific and
> clear.
>
> In general, I am trying to figure out the syntax of the map statement
> and what is allowed in that statement. So, by map statement, I mean
> for example perhaps the dovecot-dict-expire.conf.ext file as shown in
> the doc. Is the syntax the same for the various types of files (quota
> vs expire)? Is there syntax to allow the specification of a different
> key? If so, where is this documented. I have an existing table I want
> to use, not the table shown in the doc.

They aren't really documented anywhere. Also I'm kind of hoping one day
to replace the files anyway with a new syntax that allows mixed
configuration of sql/file/other backends.

The dict configuration itself is anyway generic and works basically the
same for expire/quota/others, except they use different keys (=different
patterns when matching).

I'm not sure if there is any useful way to even explain how it works
now. There is the example SQL configuration for expire and quota.
Somewhere in wiki is example flat file config for them. There's really
not much else you can do with them.

> The reason I am asking is I have seen web pages that reference all
> sorts of statements within the map statement, and I have no idea where
> they are documented. Specifically, I see an example here (which is
> LDAP), look in section 3:
>
> http://dovecot.org/patches/1.2/ldap/HOWTO_dictldap+extdata.txt
>

> You will see lots of statements, not sure which ones can be used for
> MySQL (instead of LDAP).

That patch's mapping references to Pigeonhole's extdata plugin. If you
install that plugin you can use SQL or flat file for the same maps.

> So, would like to find a list of ALL valid syntax within the map.

Plugins can always add more maps.