[Dovecot] What best decision to make for flatfiles or SQL when I use Dovecot2 + Postfix together?

terryjames9461 at mm.st terryjames9461 at mm.st
Wed Sep 28 01:00:29 EEST 2011

Hello Tom,

On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:29 PM, "Tom Hendrikx"
<tom at whyscream.net> wrote:
> The problem with passwd(like) files is that they are almost never in the
> correct format to fit both daemons. The easiest way to use a database.

I don't yet see using a database easier than flatfiles.  I understand
that the one-instance data is done well in a database.

But also I found this page at the Dovecot wiki,
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/VirtualUserFlatFilesPostfix.  I keep
rereading it and I think that it tells me that I can do this with
flatfiles only.

I think its this section,
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/VirtualUserFlatFilesPostfix#Master_Configuration,
that tells how to share data with Postfix.  Except there's also LMTP
which I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

For only 3 domains and 30 users its silly to have to run a mysql
database.  But who knows yet if I an reading this right, and if sharing
flatfiles are possible?  Its confusing to read and understand.

TJ