[Dovecot] Thunderbird caching problem

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sat Sep 3 16:03:39 EEST 2011

On 31/08/2011 20:56, Nick Rosier wrote:
> Chris Cappuccio wrote:
>> Dave McGuire [mcguire at neurotica.com] wrote:
>>
>> Interesting..How do I know that I really should be announcing all of
>> these capabilities given my current dovecot version and config?
>>
>> With the config I posted, here's what I send out now
>>
>> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
>> IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5] Blahfart
>>
> This is before login, you need to verify after login. Dovecot changes
> the capabilities it advertises after login. Remove CONDSTORE and
> QRESYNC; the CONDSTORE is the one messing it up for you. QRESYNC also
> implies CONDSTORE so you need to disable this one as well.
>
> N.

What you are doing is disabling CONDSTORE.  You can do this on a machine
by machine basis by going into the Thunderbird advanced configuration
page and toggling: mail.server.default.use_condstore

Note, others have reported NOT having problems when using Cyrus..?

For me it happens:
- Using the same username to login to the same inboxes from separate
machines
- Both users behind the same NAT (nat timeouts and missed messages a
possibility)
- Rarely

Possibly:
- The user that gets affected has been idle for a while (see NAT idea above)
- That user is either viewing the affected folder, or recently viewed
the folder.

Someone needs to catch this thing in the act and get a network trace so
that we can put this thing to bed. It happens so rarely for me (and in
such large folders) that it's not practical to get a trace.

Also note that for me it's mainly a case that I see messages marked
unread, when someone else marked them read.  This is often fixed by
restarting TB (possibly a clue). I don't think I ever need to force a
re-download of all messages?

Good luck

Ed W