[Dovecot] lmtp sometimes fails to deliver a message to all recipients

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Apr 9 09:47:11 EEST 2012

On 4.4.2012, at 19.09, Artur Zaprzała wrote:

>>> lmtp(3344, foo at domain): Error: RU1WMnueeU9QDQABxjIODQ: sieve: msgid=unspecified: failed to store into mailbox 'INBOX': Message was expunged (guid)
>>> lmtp(3344, foo at domain): Error: RU1WMnueeU9QDQABxjIODQ: sieve: script /vmail/domain/foo/.dovecot.sieve failed with unsuccessful implicit keep (user logfile /vmail/domain/foo/.dovecot.sieve.log may reveal additional details)
>> Fixed in hg.
>>
> Tested with Maildir. Works great. Thanks.
>
> The above problem was appearing when some recipients (including first one) had a sieve filter with discard action for current message. In this case, depending on the pattern of recipients having a sieve discard action, lmtp can create more than one instance of the message for a few dozen recipients. It would be nice if lmtp could create a single hardlinked instance of the message even in this case.

The problem here isn't the discard action, but that Sieve is used at all. The hard linking happens currently only for users who don't have Sieve scripts. I've a plan to fix this, but it's not a simple fix and it's pretty low priority currently.