[Dovecot] [OT] Outlook identities

Andrea Mistrali am at am.cx
Fri Apr 13 10:02:42 EEST 2012

Il giorno 13/apr/2012, alle ore 01.33, Michael Orlitzky ha scritto:

> Nothing to do with Dovecot, but I figured this is the best place to ask.
>
> Do any of the newer versions of Outlook have proper identities support
> like Thunderbird, mutt, Roundcube, i.e. every other mail client on Earth?
>
> We have customers who set up ten different mailboxes for one person
> because otherwise Outlook won't Do the Right Thing. Is there some way to
> make it behave like the others?
>
> * When sending new mail, you can choose which address to use.
> * When replying to mail, it sends from the address that the message
>   was sent to by default.
> * All mail winds up in one inbox.
>
> Outlook (2003, 2007) does do this if you set up different mail accounts,
> but we shouldn't have to do that.

If it can comfort you even Apple Mail.app ha no support for full identities like Thunderbird and every other good mail client (I think of Eudora, back to 1999, that had full identities support) have, except for some little trick that does not do “The Right Thing".
We ended writing a little PyObjc application that adds support for full identities to Mail.app, but it is just a hack and dunno if it will work forever :/

A.