[Dovecot] imapc / namespace question

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Apr 23 14:16:41 EEST 2012

On 13.4.2012, at 23.41, René Neumann wrote:

> I've got two questions regarding imapc and namespaces:
>
> 1) Is there a way of stating, that I only want part of the hierarchy on
> the end of an imapc connection to be available here? My "problem":

hg has now imapc_list_prefix.

> 2) "Private" namespaces only make sense, if location contains something
> user-specific like "%u" or "~". Is this correct?
> If yes: Is there some other way to make something like an imapc
> connection only appear for one user, if there is nothing in the location
> or imapc_user to denote the user it belongs to and hence I cannot use
> "private"?
> The only way I see currently is to use "shared" and set up ACLs to
> forbid all users except one to access the namespace (which gets slightly
> ugly as I have to use global ACLs, as -- I think -- there is no way to
> store ACLs for an imapc storage).

Well, it's not necessarily a problem to use a private namespace for anything you want. If you set it hidden=yes (probably should do anyway) then IMAP clients won't even know that you've set it as private. Internally the main difference between private and public namespaces is the default ACLs.