[Dovecot] dbox vs. mdbox

Miguel Afonso mafonso at hangas.net
Fri Apr 20 19:19:48 EEST 2012

Hi,

I finally deployed a migration test plant and done some conversions last
night, so I took the chance to collect some data of these tests.

I've set up a virtual machine with a dovecot 2.0.13 installation in order
test the mailbox conversion.

This machine has two adicional disks, one with the source data and other to
store the conversion results. The source data is a restore from the latest
production Maildir backup and I did a conversion to sdbox, and then to
mdbox.

I attach DiskIO and CPU plots for both conversions

orange Line is read from source disk, blue line is write to destination.
sdbox on the left and mdbox on the right.

Ok, this is a conversion process and not actual mailbox usage. And lacks
info on how does dbox behaves in read operations.. but this is what I got
for now.

[image: Inline image 1]

 [image: Inline image 2]
Miguel