[Dovecot] dsync: convert only mbox in /var/mail to maildir?

Jeff Simmons jeff at j-simmons.net
Fri Apr 20 22:26:41 EEST 2012

I'm migrating an old UW pop server to a new Dovecot server. The old server did
not allow mail to be stored on the server, so only mbox files exist in
/var/mail, with nothing in /home/$user. I'd like to copy the /var/mail
directory over to the new server and then use dsync to convert the mbox files
and put them in /home/$user/Maildir, but every permutation of the command line
I've tried dies with a variation on can't find/write either /var/mail/mail or
/home/$user/mail, seems it won't deal with mbox files without an associated
mail directory. Can dsync be used for this kind of conversion, or should I
look elsewhere for conversion utilities?

Thanks for helping a noob who can't traverse a wiki without leaving a trail of
breadcrumbs.

Jeff Simmons			               jeff at j-simmons.net
Simmons Consulting - Network Engineering, Administration, Security