[Dovecot] IMAP IDLE - iPhone?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Aug 10 11:59:49 EEST 2012

Am 10.08.2012 10:46, schrieb Sergey S. Kovalev:
> 10.08.2012 15:16, Reindl Harald пишет:
>> i have a Android with K9, a lot of folders where messages are stored
>> by sieve-scirpts and on my phone i can actively select which folders
>> should be used for push
>>
> Sure, it can do it in two ways: open several connections to imap server
> (one per folder) or periodically change current directory and get changes.

typically the client opens a connecton for each folder to check

> But any of this solution will eat battery very fast, proportionally
> to count of folders to check.

and that is why K9 on android let you select which folders
are relevant for you on the mobile and which should be
completly ignored and display the selected in "common inbox"

> I think that battery life is the reason, why this feature is not implemented
> in iPhone. It will use only one IMAP connection

so it is not "it's IMAP limitation"

how does help me "save battery" if i have a folder-structure
maintained by sieve if i do not get my new mails?

it's a limitation from Apple because they have not the
knowledge to implement relieable mail-clients see below
the removed posting on apple-support (first paragraphs
german but posting and answer from Apple below in english)

http://www.rhsoft.net/