[Dovecot] IMAP IDLE - iPhone?

Sergey S. Kovalev xray at randoman.ru
Fri Aug 10 12:21:34 EEST 2012

10.08.2012 15:59, Reindl Harald пишет:
> Am 10.08.2012 10:46, schrieb Sergey S. Kovalev:
>> 10.08.2012 15:16, Reindl Harald пишет:
>>> i have a Android with K9, a lot of folders where messages are stored
>>> by sieve-scirpts and on my phone i can actively select which folders
>>> should be used for push
>>>
>> Sure, it can do it in two ways: open several connections to imap server
>> (one per folder) or periodically change current directory and get changes.
> typically the client opens a connecton for each folder to check
Sure, it's better.

>> But any of this solution will eat battery very fast, proportionally
>> to count of folders to check.
> and that is why K9 on android let you select which folders
> are relevant for you on the mobile and which should be
> completly ignored and display the selected in "common inbox"
This is not an argument. You can have hundred of folders sorted by sieve
and really need to know if there new mail in any of it.
>> I think that battery life is the reason, why this feature is not implemented
>> in iPhone. It will use only one IMAP connection
> so it is not "it's IMAP limitation"
As I told - IMAP limitation is to control only one folder.
> how does help me "save battery" if i have a folder-structure
> maintained by sieve if i do not get my new mails?
If you open 10 connections to IMAP server and will IDLE on them - your
phone will wake up to reply for ping in every of that 10 connections.
Imagine if there will 100 folders?
Therefore IMAP really have limitation to use it on mobile devices.
> it's a limitation from Apple because they have not the
> knowledge to implement relieable mail-clients see below
> the removed posting on apple-support (first paragraphs
> german but posting and answer from Apple below in english)
> http://www.rhsoft.net/
I'm not fan of apple anyway, so do not interested in this discussion at all.

Sergey S. Kovalev.