[Dovecot] clucene (in)stability

Dave Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Tue Dec 4 07:30:35 EET 2012

on Mon Dec 03 2012, Timo Sirainen <tss-AT-iki.fi> wrote:

> On 4.12.2012, at 4.50, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>

>> Considering two crashing bugs, which have got no response
>> (https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3587525&group_id=80013&atid=558446
>> and
>> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3592291&group_id=80013&atid=558446)
>> and the lack of activity in its Git repository, I am inclined to think
>> that CLucene's current release series (e.g. 2.3.3.4) should be
>> considered unsuitable for serious use (including with Dovecot).
>
> I haven't heard of any big problems in a couple of large
> installations. Maybe the problems exist only in OSX and not in
> Linux?..

I'd be shocked if these issues were OS specific, but anything's
possible.  Also, if you look at their tracker there's no shortage of
worrisome problems.

>> I'm going to try CLucene 0.9.21, which they claim has been "proven to
>> be stable over time" (see http://clucene.sourceforge.net), and see
>> how it works out.
>
> Probably not that easy to port the current fts-lucene to use it.. At
> least I think you need to remove the filtering features.

Nope, doesn't compile out-of-the-box.  I'm back to the latest.

>> I wonder if there's a future envisioned for FTS with Dovecot that's
>> suitable for small installations (i.e. doesn't require a Solr server)
>> and has a good chance of correctness and stability?
>
> You could try porting it into luceneplusplus. I've thought about it a
> few times but haven't had time to
> try. https://github.com/luceneplusplus

Huh.  Nice; uses Boost, and the code doesn't look nearly as awful as
that other library.  I can't find an API reference, but I guess I could
start from the assumption that everything has the same name in both
projects.  I might try if I get a few minutes, thanks.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training