[Dovecot] clucene (in)stability

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 4 05:44:23 EET 2012

On 4.12.2012, at 4.50, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> Considering two crashing bugs, which have got no response
> (https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3587525&group_id=80013&atid=558446
> and
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3592291&group_id=80013&atid=558446)
> and the lack of activity in its Git repository, I am inclined to think
> that CLucene's current release series (e.g. 2.3.3.4) should be
> considered unsuitable for serious use (including with Dovecot).

I haven't heard of any big problems in a couple of large installations. Maybe the problems exist only in OSX and not in Linux?..

> I'm
> going to try CLucene 0.9.21, which they claim has been "proven to be
> stable over time" (see http://clucene.sourceforge.net), and see how it
> works out.

Probably not that easy to port the current fts-lucene to use it.. At least I think you need to remove the filtering features.

You could try porting it into luceneplusplus. I've thought about it a few times but haven't had time to try. https://github.com/luceneplusplus