[Dovecot] dsync: error with hierarchy separator

Jakub Jedelsky jedelsky at master.cz
Fri Dec 7 11:58:54 EET 2012

On 12/05/2012 09:09 AM, Jakub Jedelsky wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> I have a problem with transfering mails from mbox to maildir format. On
> dovecot wiki I found a dsync tool, which looks good, but returns me an
> error:
>
> # dsync -u mail at example.com mirror mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/virtuser_808
> dsync(root): Fatal: Mail locations must use the same virtual mailbox
> hierarchy separator (specify separator for the default namespace)

Hi all,

problem with namespace is solved (it's good to restart dovecot after
changes in config, ehm) but now I have another strange problem. I moved
mails from mbox to maildir with command above (with -f and -D added) but
in some cases there are not inboxes. There were ntransfered. How can I
solve it? I'm trying it again and have these messages:

dsync(info at ...): Error: Sync failed for mbox file
/var/www/mailbackup/virtuser_505: UID inserted in the middle of mailbox
(16563 > 4091, seq=1, idx_msgs=586)
dsync(info at ...): Error: Sync failed for mbox file
/var/www/mailbackup/virtuser_505: UID inserted in the middle of mailbox
(16563 > 4091, seq=1, idx_msgs=586)
dsync(info at ...): Info: Faktury: only in dest
dsync(info at ...): Info: INBOX.Trash: only in dest
dsync(info at ...): Info: test: only in dest
dsync(info at ...): Info: Nedorucene maily: only in dest
dsync(info at ...): Info: Archives: only in dest
dsync(info at ...): Info: ESET Antispam: only in dest
dsync(info at ...): Info: RECOVERY PROBLEMS: only in dest
dsync(info at ...): Info: Spam: only in dest
dsync(info at ...): Info: Drafts: only in dest
dsync(info at ...): Info: INBOX_c50e4031a821c1509e2f0000b72b541e: only in dest
dsync(info at ...): Info: INBOX: only in dest
dsync(info at ...): Info: Sent: only in dest
dsync(info at ...): Info: Trash: only in dest
dsync(info at ...): Error: Sync failed for mbox file
/var/www/mailbackup/virtuser_505: UID inserted in the middle of mailbox
(17735 > 17149, seq=1, idx_msgs=586)
dsync(info at ...): Error: Sync failed for mbox file
/var/www/mailbackup/virtuser_505: UID inserted in the middle of mailbox
(17735 > 17149, seq=1, idx_msgs=586)
dsync(info at ...): Error: Sync failed for mbox file
/var/www/mailbackup/virtuser_505: UID inserted in the middle of mailbox
(18907 > 18321, seq=1, idx_msgs=586)

Another boxes are moved correctly. I will be happy for any hint.

Thank you.

-jj