[Dovecot] dsync: error with hierarchy separator

Jakub Jedelsky jedelsky at master.cz
Wed Dec 5 10:09:51 EET 2012

Hi list!

I have a problem with transfering mails from mbox to maildir format. On
dovecot wiki I found a dsync tool, which looks good, but returns me an
error:

# dsync -u mail at example.com mirror mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/virtuser_808
dsync(root): Fatal: Mail locations must use the same virtual mailbox
hierarchy separator (specify separator for the default namespace)

I found a solution with namespaces, but it doesn't work for me, there is
still same error - I tried to add "-o separator=/" as option or add it
to config file as mentioned there [1]. Can you push me to any solution?

My dovecot -n:

# 2.0.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-279.5.2.el6.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS release 6.3 (Final)
auth_mechanisms = plain login digest-md5 cram-md5
disable_plaintext_auth = no
mail_location = maildir:~/.maildir
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
passdb {
  args = scheme=CRYPT username_format=%Lu /etc/dovecot/dovecot.passwd
  driver = passwd-file
}
plugin {
  autocreate = Spam
  autosubscribe = Spam
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  args = username_format=%Lu /etc/dovecot/dovecot.passwd
  driver = passwd-file
}
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = autocreate