[Dovecot] number of imap connection

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 14:12:16 EET 2012

<klimenko.n at theitidea.ru> writes:

> how to calculate the expected number of imap processes?

Set your mail_max_userip_connections to a large value (~20) and run
"doveadm who" periodically to look at your user's actual connection
counts.

> how many imap processes must  be used  for each user?
> i have 6-7 connection for each one user
> is it normal behavior?

It's typical.  Some popular mail readers open about 5, some more, some less.
I set my mail_max_userip_connections at 12 even though there are some users
who regularly bump up against this.  They don't seem to notice -- dovecot
probably bumps off the least recently used connection and their mail reader
reconnects if it needs to open that mailbox again.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>