[Dovecot] need help with dovecot-lda

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Sat Dec 15 15:56:20 EET 2012

At 2PM +0100 on 15/12/12 Andreas Meyer wrote:
> [Ben Morrow wrote:]
> >
> > Well, that looks OK to me; but the only way to test it is to manually
> > run dovecot-lda as vmail. Is there an auth-userdb socket in your dovecot
> > sockets directory? Does it have the right permissions?
>
> No, no such socket in /var/run/dovecot
>
> # ll
> insgesamt 4
> srwxrwxrwx 1 root root       0  8. Jun 2012  dict-server
> drwxr-x--- 2 root dovecot 4096 22. Jun 19:58 login

If I were to ask 'is anything listening on those sockets?' is there any
chance you could answer that?

<snip>
> > If the mail was handed over to dovecot-lda, it ought to be logging
> > *something*. Find out where those logs should go; if they aren't
> > appearing, you need to fix that. Syslog is IMHO a better bet than custom
> > log files.
>
> I have a dovecot-lda-errors.log and a dovecot-lda.log
>
> # cat dovecot-lda-errors.log
> Dec 14 23:28:20 lda: Error: userdb lookup:
> connect(/var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb) failed: No such file or
> directory
> Dec 14 23:28:20 lda: Fatal: Internal error occurred. Refer to server
> log for more information.

At  2PM +0100 on 15/12/12 Andreas Meyer wrote:

> I just found out the sockets of dovecot reside in /usr/var/run/dovecot

OK, that's... a little bizarre.

That's not where dovecot-lda is looking, at least not according to the
log above. Is the vmail user able to read dovecot.conf? Do you have more
than one dovecot.conf, with different settings in? I would ask you to
run

    doveconf -m lda base_dir auth_socket_path

as the vmail user, but I'm not convinced you know how.

Ben