[Dovecot] migration to dovecot pop3

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Thu Dec 20 20:27:14 EET 2012

On 12/19/2012 6:59 PM, Joseph Tam wrote:
> Rajesh M writes:
>
>> i am planning to migrate from qmail pop3 to dovecot pop3
>>
>> the number of users on the server is large over 5000
>> also data volume is large - over 3.5 tb -- ie many users several 1000s of
>> emails in their inbox
>
> If you stay on the list, you might find some people here whose
> mail metrics are several orders of magnitude larger than this.
>
>> 1) will the migration cause all the emails on the server to re-download
>> 4) has anybody migrated from qmail pop3 to dovecot pop3 successfully
>> without emails being downloaded again
>
> A proper migration will avoid this.  Google is your friend
>
>     http://lmgtfy.com/q=POP+qmail+to+dovecot+migration
>
> The top hits provide exactly what you're looking for.
>
>> 2) can dovecot be configured to allow only one download at a time - pop3
>> locking with time out setting that can be customized

We migrated 5000+ from qpopper years ago. Dovecot is sooo much better on
system load. Yes, locking and timeouts are in the config file.

>> 3) can dovecot pop3 be configured so that it will allow download of
>> emails
>> only of the last say 15 days ie even if the same pop3 user is
>> configure on
>> another machine it will download only messages of the last 15 days

That's not part of pop3, so no, it's not possible with dovecot alone.
You could probably work out a plugin to move read mail after x days, or
there may be one out there ? Or some imap robot could do it..
Ken A.
Pacific.Net

--
Ken Anderson