[Dovecot] migration to dovecot pop3

Rajesh M 24x7server at 24x7server.net
Fri Dec 21 13:41:48 EET 2012

> On 12/19/2012 6:59 PM, Joseph Tam wrote:
>> Rajesh M writes:
>>
>>> i am planning to migrate from qmail pop3 to dovecot pop3
>>>
>>> the number of users on the server is large over 5000
>>> also data volume is large - over 3.5 tb -- ie many users several 1000s
>>> of
>>> emails in their inbox
>>
>> If you stay on the list, you might find some people here whose
>> mail metrics are several orders of magnitude larger than this.
>>
>>> 1) will the migration cause all the emails on the server to re-download
>>> 4) has anybody migrated from qmail pop3 to dovecot pop3 successfully
>>> without emails being downloaded again
>>
>> A proper migration will avoid this.  Google is your friend
>>
>>     http://lmgtfy.com/q=POP+qmail+to+dovecot+migration
>>
>> The top hits provide exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>> 2) can dovecot be configured to allow only one download at a time -
>>> pop3
>>> locking with time out setting that can be customized
>
> We migrated 5000+ from qpopper years ago. Dovecot is sooo much better on
> system load. Yes, locking and timeouts are in the config file.
>

>>> 3) can dovecot pop3 be configured so that it will allow download of
>>> emails
>>> only of the last say 15 days ie even if the same pop3 user is
>>> configure on
>>> another machine it will download only messages of the last 15 days
>
> That's not part of pop3, so no, it's not possible with dovecot alone.
> You could probably work out a plugin to move read mail after x days, or
> there may be one out there ? Or some imap robot could do it..
> Ken A.
> Pacific.Net
>

>> I can't answer this, but if this is an attempt to prevent mass download,
>> the answer to 1+4 makes these questions irrelevant.
>>
>> Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>
>>

> --
> Ken Anderson
> Pacific Internet - http://www.pacific.net
> Latest Pacific.Net Status - http://twitter.com/pacnetstatus

thanks joseph and ken for your replies

ken, if possible can you please give me some more information concerning
the servers that you use.

i am using qmailtoaster my server has over 3 tb of data.

Q1) which email server software are you using for your 5000+ users

Q2) what is your server hardware configuration for handling 5000+ users

Q3) do you users store several 1000's of emails in their inboxes.

Q4) i want to try out by running dovecot pop3 on a separate port other
than 110 while qmail toaster pop3 continues to run on port 110 and try
downloading from specific a test mailbox. do you forsee any problems in
this ?

thank you once again for your kind help.

rajesh