[Dovecot] dovecot testinstallation does not tell how to quit

Sean Kamath kamath at moltingpenguin.com
Fri Dec 28 08:11:26 EET 2012

On Dec 27, 2012, at 11:38 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> On 12/27/2012 01:33 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 27.12.2012 19:28, schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
>>> I am having problems logging in with RoundCube, so thought I should see if there were instructions for testing
>>> Dovecot login, and sure enough I found some at:
>>>
>>> wiki.dovecot.org/Testinstallation
>>>
>>> Well it works, so the problem is probably all RoundCube's, but this wiki page is missing an important line about
>>> how to end the Telnet session without killing Telnet!  What is the quit/exit command?  And please add this to the
>>> wiki!
>>>
>>> Oh, I just guessed it:
>>>
>>> a logout
>> google "imap quit telnet session" leads to
>> http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/imap.html
>>
> So there you have
>
> c logout
>
> and I got
>
> a logout
>
> to work as well.

Almost any identifier before the 'logout' will work.  IMAP protocol uses a tagged command structure, so that commands can be interleaved and replies will respond with the identifier provided.  I usually use '1 logout'.  Note identifiers can be reused as well ;-)

Sean

PS At least it's now in the mail archives. :-)