[Dovecot] Mixing v2.1 and 2.0 directors ?

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Fri Dec 28 13:43:00 EET 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> The new v2.1 director code can handle running with old v2.1 directors (there were some protocol changes that improve things). I think v2.0 director is protocol compatible with the old v2.1 directors, so I think in theory it should work.. But it's definitely not ever been tested in practise, and v2.1 did fix a ton of director bugs. So if you end up testing it, I think you should be ready to quicky upgrade the other director as well if any errors show up in logs.

Ok, I don't think I want to test this -- realistic testing is too
hard. I'll rather upgrade the old directors (keeping same
ip-addresses), so that I quickly can rollback in case something
doesn't work as well as expected.

BTW: What's the status of LMTP proxying in v2.1 (or more specifically
dovecot-ee-2.1.10.3-1)? Do you know of many users of it, and has it
proven itself much better than v2.0.14 ?  I intend to upgrade the
directors first, and leave the backend servers running v2.0.14 for a
while.. that should be OK, right ?

   -jf