[Dovecot] clucene (in)stability

Dave Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Tue Dec 4 04:50:03 EET 2012

Considering two crashing bugs, which have got no response
(https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3587525&group_id=80013&atid=558446
and
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3592291&group_id=80013&atid=558446)
and the lack of activity in its Git repository, I am inclined to think
that CLucene's current release series (e.g. 2.3.3.4) should be
considered unsuitable for serious use (including with Dovecot).  I'm
going to try CLucene 0.9.21, which they claim has been "proven to be
stable over time" (see http://clucene.sourceforge.net), and see how it
works out.

I wonder if there's a future envisioned for FTS with Dovecot that's
suitable for small installations (i.e. doesn't require a Solr server)
and has a good chance of correctness and stability?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training