[Dovecot] More detail re dovecot-uidlist and -uidvalidity files

Dale Gallagher dale.gallagher at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 10:04:30 EET 2012

Regarding the dovecot-uidlist header (first line) - I've tried to search
for and figure out what exactly is meant by the "mailbox global uid" and
once I do, how to manually generate the 128 bit hex variation of it? Could
someone elaborate on this, please.

How would omitting the global uid field, beginning with G, affect remote
clients' syncing of mail? Is this field mandatory? Would "3 V$uid_validity
N$next_uid" be sufficient to ensure that clients don't re-download
everything?

I also see that Dovecot's dovecot-uidvalidity is of the form 4df8a4e2,
whereas the IMAP syncing utility which I'm using (isync) uses an integer.
I'd appreciate it if someone could elaborate on what Dovecot uses and
whether I need to convert one to the other (ie. after syncing with isync,
do I need to convert it to work with Dovecot?

Thanks.