[Dovecot] Synchronization error in NFS

Andy YB Hu ybhu at hk1.ibm.com
Fri Feb 10 10:08:10 EET 2012

Searched the archive, and got the doveadm -a director-admin for local
doveadm access, and -a host: port for remote doveadm access.

And you said: http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2010-July/050731.html
Now in my director, I have configed the userdb passwd, but the same error
occur:
doveadm(root): Error: User listing returned failure
doveadm(root): Error: user listing failed

And in the log: Feb 10 07:45:25 auth: Error: Trying to iterate users, but
userdbs don't support it

[root at c-dev1ws--01-01 conf_director.d]$dovecot -n
-c /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot_director.conf
# 2.0.13: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot_director.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.18-274.17.1.el5 i686 Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server
release 5.7 (Tikanga)
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth_mechanisms = xpreauth
auth_username_chars =
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890.-_@:
auth_verbose = yes
auth_verbose_passwords = plain
base_dir = /var/run/dovecot_director
director_mail_servers = 9.119.7.129
director_servers = 9.119.7.60:9090
disable_plaintext_auth = no
lock_method = dotlock
log_path = /tmp/log
mail_debug = yes
mail_fsync = always
mail_gid = mdrop
mail_nfs_index = yes
mail_nfs_storage = yes
mail_uid = mdrop
mmap_disable = yes
passdb {
  args = proxy=y port=144 nopassword=y
  driver = static
}
service director {
  fifo_listener login/proxy-notify {
    mode = 0666
  }
  inet_listener {
    port = 9090
  }
  unix_listener director-userdb {
    mode = 0600
  }
  unix_listener login/director {
    mode = 0666
  }
}
service imap-login {
  executable = imap-login director
  inet_listener imap {
    address = 9.119.7.60
    port = 10143
  }
}
ssl = no
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}

By the way, I run the director and backend in the same server.

             Andy YB Hu/Hong
             Kong/IBM at IBMHK
             dovecot-bounces at d         Dovecot Mailing List
             ovecot.org                <dovecot at dovecot.org>
                                                                        cc

             02/10/2012 11:12                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: [Dovecot] Synchronization error
                                       in NFS

             Please respond to
              Dovecot Mailing
                   List
             <dovecot at dovecot.
                   org>

OK.

One more question. Now, the director and backend server are running on  the
same servers, I set it up according to
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/RunningDovecot#Running_Multiple_Invocations_of_Dovecot

. The question is how to use doveadm to manage the different instances? I
know there is dovecot -c , but how about doveadm?

             Timo Sirainen
             <tss at iki.fi>
             dovecot-bounces at d         Dovecot Mailing List
             ovecot.org                <dovecot at dovecot.org>
                                                                        cc

             02/09/2012 08:55                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: [Dovecot] Synchronization error
                                       in NFS

             Please respond to
              Dovecot Mailing
                   List
             <dovecot at dovecot.
                   org>

On 9.2.2012, at 10.36, Andy YB Hu wrote:

> I just tried out the Director. One question is about the re-redirection.
> know director will redirect all the simultaneous requests from the same
> user to only a single server at the same time.  The question is how to
> manage the time period after last connection to re-decide to redirect
which
> machine?   director_user_expire? Look like not.
>
> I did one test, set director_user_expire = 1 min, then keep sending
> requests to the director in 2 min interval, the result is it keeps
redirect
> to the same back end server.

In normal operation the user is always redirected to the same server.
http://blog.dovecot.org/2010/05/new-director-service-in-v20-for-nfs.html
has some more details.

If you have enough connections, it shouldn't matter that the connections
aren't constantly going to random backends. In practice they get
distributed well enough.