[Dovecot] error bad file number with compressed mbox files

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 3 13:29:36 EET 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 15:33 +0100, Jürgen Obermann wrote:

> can dsync convert from compressed mbox to compressed mdbox format?
>
> When I use compressed mbox files, either with gzip or with bzip2, I can
> read the mails as usual, but I find the following errors in dovecots log
> file:
>
> imap(userxy): Error: nfs_flush_fcntl:
> fcntl(/home/hrz/userxy/Mail/mymbox.gz, F_RDLCK) failed: Bad file number
> imap(userxy): Error: nfs_flush_fcntl:
> fcntl(/home/hrz/userxy/Mail/mymbox.bz2, F_RDLCK) failed: Bad file number

This happens because of mail_nfs_* settings. You can either ignore those
errors, or disable the settings. Those settings are useful only if you
attempt to access the same mailbox from multiple servers at the same
time, which is randomly going to fail even with those settings, so they
aren't hugely useful.