[Dovecot] error bad file number with compressed mbox files

Jürgen Obermann Juergen.Obermann at hrz.uni-giessen.de
Mon Jan 2 16:33:07 EET 2012

Hello,

can dsync convert from compressed mbox to compressed mdbox format?

When I use compressed mbox files, either with gzip or with bzip2, I can
read the mails as usual, but I find the following errors in dovecots log
file:

imap(userxy): Error: nfs_flush_fcntl:
fcntl(/home/hrz/userxy/Mail/mymbox.gz, F_RDLCK) failed: Bad file number
imap(userxy): Error: nfs_flush_fcntl:
fcntl(/home/hrz/userxy/Mail/mymbox.bz2, F_RDLCK) failed: Bad file number

These errors also appear when I use dsync to convert the compressed
mbox to mdbox format on a second dovecot server:

/opt/local/bin/dsync -v -u userxy backup
mdbox:/sanpool/mail/home/hrz/userxy/mdbox
dsync(userxy): Error: nfs_flush_fcntl:
fcntl(/home/hrz/userxy/Mail/mymbox.gz, F_RDLCK) failed: Bad file number

But now dovecot does not find the mails in the folder mymbox.gz on the
second dovecot server in mdbox format!

The relevant part of the dovcot configuration is:

# 2.0.16: /opt/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: SunOS 5.10 sun4v
mail_fsync = always
mail_location = mbox:~/Mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_nfs_index = yes
mail_nfs_storage = yes
mail_plugins = mail_log notify zlib
mmap_disable = yes