[Dovecot] Persistence of UIDs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jan 25 14:45:31 EET 2012

On 25.1.2012, at 5.22, Jean-Daniel Beaubien wrote:

> I have a question concerning UIDs. How persistant are they?

With Dovecot persistent enough. But as Michael said, check UIDVALIDITY.

> I am thinking about building some form of webmail specialized for some
> specific business purpose and I am thinking of building a sort of cache in
> a DB by storing the email addr, date, subject and UID for quick lookups and
> search of correspondance.

Dovecot should already have such cache. If there are problems with that, I think it would be better to fix it on Dovecot's side rather than adding a second cache.

> I am doing this because I am having issue with multiple people searching
> thru email folders that have 100k+ emails (which is another problem in
> itself, searches don't seem to scale well when folder goes above 60k
> emails).

Maybe enable fts-solr or fts-lucene? (Both work much better in v2.1.)