[Dovecot] Persistence of UIDs

Jean-Daniel Beaubien jd.beaubien at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:34:59 EET 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On 25.1.2012, at 5.22, Jean-Daniel Beaubien wrote:
>
> > I have a question concerning UIDs. How persistant are they?
>
> With Dovecot persistent enough. But as Michael said, check UIDVALIDITY.
>
> > I am thinking about building some form of webmail specialized for some
> > specific business purpose and I am thinking of building a sort of cache
> in
> > a DB by storing the email addr, date, subject and UID for quick lookups
> and
> > search of correspondance.
>
> Dovecot should already have such cache. If there are problems with that, I
> think it would be better to fix it on Dovecot's side rather than adding a
> second cache.

Very true.  Has there been many search/index improvements since 1.0.9? I
read thru the release notes but nothing jumped out at me.

> > I am doing this because I am having issue with multiple people searching
> > thru email folders that have 100k+ emails (which is another problem in
> > itself, searches don't seem to scale well when folder goes above 60k
> > emails).
>
> Maybe enable fts-solr or fts-lucene? (Both work much better in v2.1.)

I was under the impression that lucene was for full-text search. I'm just
doing simple from/to field searches.

I will get a few numbers together about folder_size --> search time and I
will post them tonight.

-jd